Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameVirginia Gentleman
Bottled ByA. Smith Bowman Fredericksburg,Va
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoBT low rye
Age4
Views (since 20080612) 8741
Bottling Info

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 605, Created:20061011222243, Updated:20061013012032) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:LeNell's
Purchased for:$12.00
Info on this bottle:This is the previous label, the white label showing frock-coated men in front of a mansion.
Nose:Clean sweet bourbon nose, fresh and appealing
Taste:The taste is like the nose but light, as if good bourbon was crossed with fine vodka. This makes sense to me. This bourbon was triple-distilled and probably came off the Smith Bowman still at 155 or something. I like the balance the extra stilling proof gives it, even at a bottling proof of 80.
Finish:Fine and light again on the palate, not heavy and concentrated as an older, high proof bourbon would be. A light chamber piece compared to a full-bore big symphony number.
Overall:I rate this very high. This is for neat sipping in my view. All the elements are detectable in that fashion. I used about 4 ounces to "display" 22 ounces of mingled mid-90's VOB BIBs I got from Tim. The VOB BIBs were good on their own but when I mingled 6 200 ml. bottles, the mingling didn't work, there was an odd alcohol and tannic protrusion that wasn't right. Adding the smooth VG reorganised the big VOB elements and brought them into the right relationship. But this VG (I have 3/4 of the bottle left now) will also be appreciated on its own. It is interesting though what you can do with a light, clean, well-made bourbon.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 472, Created:20060426091417)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Corn and vanilla with a little spice and oak wood.
Taste:Corn and vanilla with a little oak - not complex at all.
Finish:Short and sweet with caramel and a hint of oak.
Overall:Good for an old fashioned cocktail or whiskey sour.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews