Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameI. W. Harper
Bottled ByUnited Distillers ,
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age4
Views (since 20080612) 17847
Bottling Info

Review from whiskeybreath (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1930, Created:20110226153622) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Lillie's Package Liquor Store
Purchased for:$11
Info on this bottle:1960s or older
Nose:has a "old wood" smell about it.
Taste:Nutty tasting with the rye REALLY balanced well so as to not overpower the corn
Finish:Lingered on, and on, and on, didn't want to leave. Like a 1st date that went REALLY well!
Overall:I want to be embalmed with this stuff when I go. Everything is there you would expect in a good bourbon. I will be sad when this one runs dry.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1753, Created:20091114160806, Updated:20091114161231)
Purchased at:San Francisco, Mission area, this summer
Purchased for:$14.99
Info on this bottle:Distilled Spring 1966, Bottled Fall 1973
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:Caramel, something juicy and minty perhaps, hard to describe
Taste:Medium-bodied, sweet, with notes of dark honey and butter, some honeysuckle and mint. Very together bourbon.
Finish:Not lingering but very good and finally some light alcohol notes emerge and faint wood. This is 50% alcohol, you would never know it.
Overall:The old school at its elegant best. Mike's notes in the last review are very applicable to this bottle, except I did not get anything sour in the nose.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 590, Created:20060924112710, Updated:20060924113734)
Purchased at:Gift from Scratchline, Purchased somewhere between Louisville and LA
Info on this bottle:Bottled in Bond Bottled in 1979 or 80, 200ml or 6.8 fl oz size
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:Strong butterscotch on the nose. Some corn and something a bit sour and unpleasant behind the butterscotch. This disapates some as it breathes. Just a hint of spearmint and oak.
Taste:Taste better than it noses. Nice sweet caramel and pepper spice with and little oak and leather. A burst of real sweet fruit - apples and banana - just before you swallow. There is not much alcohol heat which is suprising at 100 proof.
Finish:The finish and this product is excellent. It is fruit and caramel sweet with just a little oak wood.
Overall:Once you get past the sourness in the nose, this is a very good drink of whiskey. I can see it making an excellent cocktail since other ingredients might mask the unpleasant sourness in the nose.

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 559, Created:20060802160719)
Purchased at:Acquired in trade
Info on this bottle:Bottled in 1984
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Carmel, apple sauce, cinnamon, pine, mint.
Taste:Each sip starts out light and grows in body and flavor. It has a nice creamy mouth feel. Buttery with caramel and butterscotch. There is a hint of burn that never quite arrives.
Finish:Medium length dry finish. Tannin.
Overall:This is something different and a real treat. It has nowhere near the power of its 100 proof big brother. This expression is a subtle charmer. The nose is quite interesting with many aromas easily identified. The flavor starts out light and unimpressive but builds to a very respectable butterscotch goodness. Best enjoyed early in the evening and when you have time to appreciate what it has to offer. Delightful.

Review from angelshare (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 159) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:VA ABC store ca 2003
Purchased for:~$14
Info on this bottle:Tax stamp present
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:A faint, fleeting aroma of flowers, perfume and a hint of butter. Also, here and there, a "solvent" type odor, but a pleasant one - like a magic marker of which you catch a whiff; then, when no one is looking, you sniff it again. It is a light but pleasant nose.

Taste:Light, lively, literally tingling on the tongue. The butter from the nose pays a quick visit, as does a sweet toffee flavor.
Finish:Smooth, brief, but no burn whatsoever. At the end, on the back of the tongue, I taste what Mr. John Lipman has described for me as "mash vanilla," but what I have always called "cream soda." It's gone quickly, making you feel like you dreamed it was there. Immediately, you want to have another sip to find out if it was real.

Overall:If I'm in a minority, so be it, but I say IWH 4 year is a treasure. Why? It is the perfect example of what young bourbon should be. Much like an extra aged bourbon (e.g., EC eighteen year) tastes very unique, I would argue that young whiskey is unique in its own right. Unfortunately, much of the young whiskey I have tried has a bite, a green quality that results in undertones of (if not straightforward) unpleasantness. In contrast, IWH is proud to have barely touched the wood, extracting enough flavor to be refined without languishing long enough to lose the playful spirit of its moonshine ancestry. This is not a harsh "cat and dog," or even a "I'll-have-that-if-that's-all-you-have" Jim Beam white. I'm GLAD this was dumped before extra aging subdued its lively edge. Now that it is scarce, if you've never tried it, I urge you to pick it up if you see it.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews